When we started the blog in the spring of 2008, we hadn’t
given a second thought about how or when to end it. We created it simply as a
way to share photos and stories with grandparents and far-flung relatives. But it
wasn’t too long before we started considering Jed’s online persona and his own
right to privacy and his future ownership of his online identity. By the time
Macon was born, we knew the blog would end.
But when?
We pondered ending it when Jed started kindergarten, but
that didn’t really seem like the right time. We considered making the blog “Macon-only”
once Jed started school, but I was far too lazy to edit photos and stories in a
way that left Jed out.
Both boys have had their pictures and names online since the
day they were born. Stopping the blog with several years left before they are
old enough to take responsibility for their online activities will create a
gap, I hope, between their internet infancies and their internet adulthoods.
So the time has come: Macon starts kindergarten on Monday,
and while many other milestones will follow, kindergarten is a big one.
The blog has provided us all with so much joy! You all have
gotten to see the boys growing and changing and taking on their own
personalities. Eric and I have had the opportunity to reflect upon and write
about the funniest, saddest, scariest, and most mundane episodes in their lives
to date. But most of all, the boys have gotten a more detailed record of their
early childhoods than they would have ever gotten otherwise.
So what will happen to the blog? It will still be here.
I’m not sure how long Blogger, the host company, will allow
it to hang around without anyone posting to it, so I’ll do some research on my
archiving options, and I suspect we will look for a publisher to create a
hard-copy for us. (Yes, there are people who do that, thankfully!)
In the meantime, we have at least one more post left: first
day of school photos! Look for those on Monday.
And thank you, thank you, thank you for your years of
reading and watching and commenting. Like so many things in life, I suspect we’ve
gotten more out of it than you have, but thank you for sharing these eight
years with our family. I’m sad to see the blog end, just like I’m sad to see Macon
start kindergarten, but it’s time for both of those to happen.
5 comments:
What a sad, sad blog, but perfectly understandable. I'm even shedding a few tears. You and Eric have been wonderful to share your family with your faithful followers. I have a feeling I'll be making more trips to Raleigh if I can ever find you at home with your busy schedules. And to quote Carol Burnett, "Thanks for the memories." Or was it Carol Burnett?
Some future day, perhaps when they have children, Jed and Macon will thank you for this thoughtful piece of history. A legacy, for sure. Like Teddie, I will miss the chance to see their world from afar. But you're right to take this step. Just put me on the list for the book version!
Thank you for the years of amazing posts. We have enjoyed both the sad and the happy moments you have shared with us. It has been a good run but if there was ever a good time to quit, now is it. It won't be long before Jed will have his own online spots and Macon will demand to follow suit, I am sure. Thank you for eight years of sharing your family with us.
Oh dear! I'm developing withdrawal symptoms as I write ......
I will really miss these glimpses into family life in North Carolina and portraits of Marmie's wonderful grandchildren.
Thanks, Peter!
Post a Comment